Imagine going into a Bank with a mask on and asking for money!
When the UK eventually comes out of total ‘Lock Down’ should we all wear a Mask as a way of helping to stop the spread of the Covid-19 Virus?
Here’s what we do know.
- Masks are a vital area of protection for all organisations caring for sick or at risks individuals.
- The NHS require the effective FFP3 Mask as part of personal protective gear for those operating in roles where there are serious health risks such as infection or respiratory illness.
- The Government is rightly determined that any of the FFP3 Masks are not diverted from NHS use.
So what roles do FFP2 Masks and standard 3 ply Masks have play?
- Not wearing a Mask in some countries such as Japan is now regarded as shameful and suggested to be a continual reminder of not touching your face
- If everyone wears a Mask the risk of infection should be lessened.
- But wearing a Mask should hinder the transference of the virus from the wearer – we have all seen the graphics about projectile sneezing and coughing.
- There is no scientific proof that wearing a basic Mask will protect you from catching the Virus
- Whereas the standard 3 ply Mask offers protection against materials in concentrations of 4x OEL (Occupational Exposure) Limit, and 4x the APF (Assigned Protection Factor) Limit.
- FFP2 Masks offers protection against materials in concentrations of 12x OEL (Occupational Exposure Limit), and 10x the APF (Assigned Protection Factor) limit.
- There is the social implications and perception of minimising the spread of infection. ‘They communicate their responsibilities to the social group of which they were members’ Peter Baehr (Dutch Sociologist)
- The Mayor of London seems now to be a proponent of Face Masks.
- We know that Austria, Germany, Czech Republic and Denmark are tentatively easing restrictions and there is a growing consensus that a combination of testing, tracking, and Face Masks could be an ‘exit strategy,’
Whatever your views are on it, one thing is for sure Masks are something we are all going to be talking about for some time to come and we may not just be going to a bank with a mask on asking for our money!